Gmail is among the most widely used and feature-rich email client available. Among all other features, Gmail also allows users to use predefined keyboard shortcuts to make the navigation more comfortable as well as faster.
However, to use keyboard shortcuts to compose a new mail, or navigate through the interface with a press of a few buttons, you need to enable keyboard shortcuts. Here’s how you can do it. Also, we have put together a few universal shortcuts to make the process easier for you.
Also, do keep in mind, Windows PCs and Mac keyboard shortcuts work differently and you will have to use Cmd key on Mac computers instead of Ctrl button on Windows.
Steps to activate keyboard shortcuts on Gmail
- Open Gmail on your PC or Mac device
- From the top right corner click on the ‘Gear’ icon and head to ‘Settings’
- Scroll down to the ‘Keyboard shortcuts’ section
- Look for ‘Keyboard shortcuts’ and turn it on
- At the bottom of the page, click Save Changes
Gmail also allows users to create custom keyboard shortcuts as per their need and here’s how to do it.
- Click on Advance from bottom of the Settings page
- Enable the Change your keyboard shortcuts option
- Now, in the Action option, type the keyboard key to create a new shortcut
- At the bottom, click Save Changes.
Here are some common shortcuts you can use
Go to previous message in an open conversation: Press P
Go to next message in an open conversation: Press N
Focus main window: Shift + Esc
Advance to the next chat or compose: Ctrl + .
Advance to previous chat or compose: Ctrl + ,
Send the composed email: Cmd/Ctrl + Enter
Add cc recipients: Cms/Ctrl + Shift + C
Add bcc recipients: Cms/Ctrl + Shift + B
Insert a link: Cms/Ctrl + K
Open spelling suggestions: Cmd/Ctrl + M
Go to next page: G + N
Go to previous page: G + P
Source : GADGETSNOW