The most common method to keep the data secure stored locally on your smartphone or PC is by setting up a screen lock and at times, we forget to lock the device before leaving it unattended in our room or office space. But, what if, the device somehow manages to sense that the user is not here and locks the device automatically for you.
Sounds interesting, right? Thankfully, both Windows and Android have this feature that detects the user’s presence based on the location, connected device and locks the device automatically.
Wondering how to enable this feature, follow our step-by-step guide…
How to enable auto lock feature on Windows
To enable this feature you need a Bluetooth device such as wireless headphones or smartphone.
1. Head to Bluetooth Settings by heading to Settings > Devices > Bluetooth & other devices
2. If Bluetooth is already on, click on the ‘+’ icon to add a new Bluetooth device
3. Pair the device by following the onscreen instructions
4. Once done, head to Settings > Accounts and then tap Sign-in option from the left panel
5. Look for Dynamic Lock section and check the box saying ‘Allow Windows to detect when you’re away and automatically lock the device
That’s all, going forward, whenever Windows will fail to detect your smartphone or the connected Bluetooth device. It will automatically lock the system.
Do note, that the Dynamic lock feature has its own shortcomings as well, As the feature works on Bluetooth, so the laptop or computer will remain unlocked until the Bluetooth device is out of the range.
How to enable auto lock feature on Android device
On Android, the feature is called Smart Lock. But unlike Windows Dynamic Lock, it also unlocks the phone based on the body detection, location and connected Bluetooth device.
1. Head to Settings and tap on Security or Security and location option
2. Now, tap on the Smart Lock option and verify your device password, PIN or pattern.
3. Choose the option Trusted devices and then tap on Add Trusted Device
4. Here, choose the device that you want to use
Source : GADGETSNOW